Learn to Race Optimist & Open Bic
The Optimist Green Fleet is for sailors (7-15) who have completed CSC’s summer camp or a similar program or are beginner racers. In the Green Fleet, young sailors are taught sail trim, sailboat racing, rules, tactics, and basic strategies. Expect to attend approximately 3 – 4 regattas per year mostly within a few hour’s travel time from the Club.
Expanding off of our summer program, CSC hosts practices in the Fall and Spring, and sends teams and coaches to regional regattas. In addition to allowing for more time on the water Fall and Spring programs also allows for sailors to practice in wider array of conditions than we typically see in the summer, as well as retain and continue to develop skills they have worked on throughout the year.
2019 Eligibility Requirements:
- Eligibility: Open to CSC members and non-members
- Boats: Optimist and Open Bic
- Skill ability to be able to get around the race course un-assisted
- Participation requirements:
- 3 CSC regatta per season
- 3 out of town regatta per Season
- Represent CSC at all out of town regattas
- Required to follow US Sailing Sportsmanship rules
- Required to follow CSC Code of Conduct
- Must participate in 1 CSC Race Committee day
- Wear CSC team shirts at award presentation whenever possible
- Maintain at minimum a B average in school
Member price is $350 and non-member $450. The fees include use of facility, two coaches, coach boats and transporting boats to away regatta. A $150 Boat Charter fee will be required for anyone not providing their own boat. Please note, regatta registrations, overnight accommodations and meals are not included.
- March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 April 7, 28 May 5, 19 (1:00pm – 5:00pm) Sunday practices
- April 13 -14 Junior Olympic Regatta at Atlanta Yacht Club
- March 13- May 22 CSC Wednesday Night Dinghy Races (start times 6:30pm)
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact David Van Cleef, Sailing Director at 803-764-6065 or firstname.lastname@example.org