Learn to Race Optimist & Open Bic
The Optimist Green Fleet is for sailors (7-15) who have completed CSC’s summer camp or a similar program or are beginner racers. In the Green Fleet, young sailors are taught sail trim, sailboat racing, rules, tactics, and basic strategies. Expect to attend approximately 3 – 4 regattas per year mostly within a few hour’s travel time from the Club.
Expanding off of our summer program, CSC hosts practices in the Fall and Spring, and sends teams and coaches to regional regattas. In addition to allowing for more time on the water Fall and Spring programs also allows for sailors to practice in wider array of conditions than we typically see in the summer, as well as retain and continue to develop skills they have worked on throughout the year.
2018 Eligibility Requirements:
- Eligibility: Open to CSC members and non-members
- Boats: Optimist and Open Bic
- Skill ability to be able to get around the race course un-assisted
- Participation requirements:
- 1 CSC regatta per season (Midlands Regatta)
- 1 out of town regatta per Season (Halloween Regatta)
- Represent CSC at all out of town regattas
- Required to follow US Sailing Sportsmanship rules
- Required to follow CSC Code of Conduct
- Must participate in 1 CSC Race Committee day
- Wear CSC team shirts at award presentation whenever possible
- Maintain and minimum B average in school
Member price is $500 and non-member $550. The Fees include use of boats & equipment, two coaches, coach boats, transporting boats to away regatta and CSC official team polo. Please note: Regatta registrations, overnight accommodations and meals are not included.
- Sept. 9 (1:00pm – 1:30pm) Youth meeting with parents
- Sept 9, 16, 23, 30 (1:00pm – 5:00pm) Sunday practices
- Oct 6-7 Halloween Regatta at Augusta Sailing Club, Georgia
- Oct 14, 21, 28 (1:00pm – 5:00pm) Sunday practices
- Nov 3-4 Midlands Regatta at Columbia Sailing Club
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact David Van Cleef, Sailing Director at 803-764-6065 or firstname.lastname@example.org